- This event has passed.
Annual Poetry Bursary: League of Canadian Poets
September 5, 11:59 AM EDT
The League of Canadian Poets is very excited to announce a new annual bursary that will support poetry scholars in Canada. This special bursary will provide $2000 in support for one year of education that has a focus on poetry at the undergraduate, graduate, or doctorate level.
Deadline is September 5, 2022 at 11:59pm EST.
This bursary is intended to provide financial support for students who are studying poetry at the post-secondary level in many formats. We are particularly invested in supporting students that identify as BIPOC, Metis, First Nations, Deaf, Disabled, or newcomers to Canada.
Who should apply for this Bursary?
- Students entering a year of education at the undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral level at an accredited Canadian post-secondary institution for the year 2022-2023. Poetry study must make up a significant portion of studies (15% of undergraduate courses, 25% of graduate courses, or the focus of a doctoral degree)
- Students who are taking poetry classes at a local Canadian college, school or education centre. Certain online courses may be eligible for this bursary, provided the instructors and courses are taught in Canada. Please be sure to outline your poetry experience and information outlining your study plans in your statements.
- The summer 2022 term is not included in this bursary.
To apply for this bursary, students must supply all of the materials below through our application form:
- The applicant must provide a CV
- The applicant must provide a short statement about educational and career goals as they relate to poetry in Canada, as well as evidence that they are enrolled in or planning to enroll in an eligible program or course.
- The applicant may provide one (1) letter of support for their award. We welcome letters from employers, mentors and teachers. Please upload this letter of support with your application (ie. The letter of support should not be sent directly to the League, and does not need to remain confidential from the application).
- This bursary will be allocated based on the information provided in the application form above. Please note that the League of Canadian poets is very interested in supporting bursary recipients who are members of BIPOC, deaf, disabled, LGBTQI2S and rural communities, and students at many different stages in their study of poetry.