- This event has passed.
Virtual Summer Poetry Teachers Institute 2022: Poetry Transforms
July 19, 2022 – July 20, 2022Free
Join us for the virtual Summer Poetry Teachers Institute: Poetry Transforms for two days of invigorating panels, performances, and breakout sessions on current events of interest to teachers in K–12 and community college classrooms. Participants are invited to consider questions like:
- From our relationships to each other, to reflections on the Covid-19 pandemic, how does poetry play a central role in our ability to transform ourselves and our world?
- How teachers can use poetry to transform the classroom!
Day 1: Tuesday, July 19, 10:00 AM-4:15 PM CT
- Opening Keynote with Janet Wong
- Global Vaccine Poem Project with Naomi Shihab Nye, David Hassler, and Tyler Meier
- Digital Tour of Poetry Foundation Archive
- Lunch, 12:30-2:00 PM CT
- Optional Grade Level Breakout Sessions
- Krista Franklin in Conversation with Aricka Foreman
- Optional Virtual Happy Hour, 4:15-5:30 PM CT
Day 2: Wednesday, July 20, 10:00 AM-4 PM CT
- On Multilingual Poetry and Translations with Kaveh Akbar, Nawal Qarooni, and Jasmine Warga
- Performance and conversation by Dream Warriors: Jessa Calderon, Lyla Johnston, Mic Jordan, Gunner Jules, Mic Jordan, Tall Paul, Frank Waln, and Tanaya Winder
- Lunch, 12:00-1:00 PM CT
- Cafecito with José Olivarez and Willie Perdomo
- Optional Themed Breakout Sessions
- Closing Keynote with Dr. Yolanda Sealey-Ruiz
- Optional Virtual Happy Hour, 4-5 PM CT
The Poetry Foundation’s Summer Poetry Teachers Institute is open to all K–12 and community college educators, administrators, librarians, teaching artists, and aspiring teachers. All main sessions will include CART captioning and ASL interpretation. Breakout sessions will include Zoom auto-generated captions.