Skip to content
- Entries must come from publishers only. Inquiries about entries must also come from publishers only.
- Publishers are welcome to enter an unlimited number of titles. Please download an Entry Form and a complete version of the Rules below.
- The Griffin Poetry Prize is awarded annually for the best collection of poetry written in, or translated into, English. A longlist of 10 books will be announced in March, and a shortlist of 5 books will be announced in April to coincide with National Poetry Month. The winner will be announced in June. The winner will receive C$130,000 and the other shortlisted poets will each receive C$10,000.
- To be eligible for the prize, a book of poetry must be a first-edition collection (i.e. not previously published in any country), written in English, or translated into English, by a poet/translator from any part of the world, including Canada.
- No self-published book is eligible. This requirement is consistent with major literary prizes around the world.
- Books must have been published in English during the calendar year preceding the year of the award. For the 2024 Griffin Poetry Prize, books must be published between January 1st and December 31st, 2023. The deadline for submissions for the 2024 Griffin Poetry Prize are: June 30, 2023 for books published between January 1, 2023 and June 30, 2023; December 31, 2023 for books published between July 1, 2023 and December 31, 2023.
- Note: The longlist and shortlist will be issued by the Griffin Poetry Prize via press release and its social media channels, including the website.